Kenya has confirmed 17 more cases of the new coronavirus, bringing the total number of confirmed infections to 320.
12 of the new cases are from Mombasa while 5 are from Nairobi.
Speaking on Thursday from Afya House, Health Ministry CAS Dr Mercy Mwangangi noted that 15 of the new cases were picked by the ministry’s surveillance team.
2 cases are from tests carried out at the designated quarantine centres.
The Ministry of Health (MoH) has tested 668 samples in the last 24 hours with the bulk of the tests – 478 samples- being tested in Nairobi which is leading with the number of infections.
At the same time, Kenya has confirmed 6 more recoveries from the new coronavirus bringing the tally of recoveries to 89.
“I am happy to announce that other than the two that are in Intensive Care Unit, the rest are mild cases and will hopefully be discharged in proper order of time,” she said.
Amoth said some escapees from a quarantine centre in Nairobi had been traced to Kericho. He insisted that the government had not criminalised the quarantine process but could not confirm whether the conditions were good. “What we should do to improve the conditions, for those who are positive, we move them to isolation and those who test negative we allow them to go home and continue with self-quarantine,” Amoth added.
While acknowledging that some of the measures put in place by the government, including mandatory quarantine, curfew, hand washing and wearing of masks in public places had played a role in containing the disease, Mwangangi said a meeting scheduled for Sunday would determine if they would be extended or lifted. “We have come up with a matrix that will be evaluated this Sunday by the National Emergency Response Committee, which we will then see if they will be tightened of loosened,” she said.
The Health CAS also noted that the over-reliance on sanitisers over soap and water as a measure to curb the spread of the virus was a misplaced priority.